We don’t write about a lot of contests, but this one is so cool I thought I would share it. All About Kids Publishing, a small imprint out of Gilroy, California, has some great children’s books. Several books geared towards 4 – 8 year olds recently arrived on my doorstep for review including these delightful stories:
- A my name is Andrew, written by Mary McManus Burke and illustrated by Donna Ingemanson. This delightful book uses children’s names to tell small stories. Each one has alliterations to keep you tongue-tied as you try to read each story. There is a glossary at the end to make sure you can explain all the words when the kids ask “What does that mean?”
- Just One More, written by Wendi Silvano and illustrated by Richard Gamboa, takes children through an adventurous bus ride filled with people, chickens, pigs and a llama. When you think the bus it too full to fit anything else the bus drive yells, “Just one more.” Parts of the book make you laugh. Other parts make you say “Eeewwww.” You’ll have to read it to see which is which.
- Walking with Maga, written by Maureen Boyd Biro and illustrated by Joyce Wheeler, is a very sweet story about a grandmother named Maga and her granddaughter walking together. Along the way they talk, find adventures, meet new friends and make wishes. The illustrations make you feel like you are walking on the beach with them.
So, here’s the contest part. All About Kids Publishing is holding a contest for an Author Party. The best part is you get to pick from one of the author’s above for your party. What is included in the party? How about:
- Signed copies of the book for up to 15 kids (sent before party)
- 20 mins. with author via Skype (author will read book & then answer questions)
- $50 gift card to purchase pizza
- $30 party pack from Oriental Trading Co. (Book/Author Name Banner, streamers, hanging lanterns)
- $20 Gift Certificate for Ruckus Reader
Now you want to know how you can enter, right? Well, you need to email All About Kids Publishing Editor Linda L. Guevara with your name, contact info and book selection at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to put “Author Party” in the subject line so your email is directed to the correct person. The deadline is Friday, December 7, so don’t delay. The All About Kids Publishing staff will choose a winner via a random drawing.
All the standard disclaimers apply about The Chicago Moms not being responsible for shipping, taxes, etc. You’ll work directly with All About Kids to organize the party. We’re just happy to share the opportunity.
After the party we’ll ask you to write a follow-up about your experience. You can post it here on the Chicago Moms or your personal blog. Of course, be sure to share this with any preschool or kindergarten teachers you know. This is a great opportunity for children to learn directly from an author.