One, or two, or ten can spend hours upon hours debating.
Guns don’t kill people, people kill people. People can only kill people with guns if they pull the trigger. Sanity, insanity, background checks or not, people who want weaponry know how to get it – where does it all end.
As an 8th grader back in March of 1981, I can still see vividly in my mind the replays of James Brady as he was mortally wounded in the head from John Hinckley Jr.’s attempted assassination of President Ronald Reagan. It would be many years later, 1993 to be exact, before Jim Brady, his loved ones, and like minded people persuaded our government to act responsibly when it comes to gun violence. The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act was a beginning but decades later Sarah Brady is still fighting.
That is why we at The Chicago Moms have reached out to our sisters across the nation who are #LouderThanGuns.
Gun violence has been particularly profound in recent years. In Chicago alone 532 people were murdered in 2012, with 2,700 shot.
The Chicago Moms find these numbers unacceptable as many of those shot were children. Our goal with this initiative is to attract as many voices as we can to bring awareness to our nation’s need for better gun control. Written experiences, losses, concerns and thoughts where Gun Control has been an issue must be told in volumes.
Do you stay up at night like I do, hoping and praying that your children or loved ones have not crossed the path of a stray bullet or a random violent attack? Do you hunt but believe violence against humans can be prevented in some way by legislation or other responsible acts?
How can you join or help spread the word?
- Write a post in your own blog, or do a video on this topic, share us links below and we’ll make sure to link you on our weekly post and spread your post everywhere we can!
- You must use the official #LouderThanGuns graphic you see in this page on blog posts or videos.
- Encourage your readers to write their own post and submit their links to us too.
- Remember to tweet, facebook, Google+ (all your social network magic) using the hashtag #LouderThanGuns
Other ways to get involved:
- Share other #LouderThanGuns post you see on twitter, fb, Google+
- Join our Google+ Community at https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/113525906407280170041
- Encourage your friends to read and contribute their stories even through comments.